“Never measure your life by possessions. Measure it by the hearts you’ve touched, the smiles you created and the love you shared.”
― Ziad K. Abdelnour
What wonderful words to embrace and live by. I am a firm believer that our possessions don’t make us who we are or have any sort of lasting effect on personal happiness.
However, I do own a few items that give my happiness a boost. These items make my world a little bit better and never fail to put a smile on my face.
My Happiness Boosters:
1. My Tervis Tumbler: I have many Tervis Tumblers, but my favorite one says “Shop Til You Drop” on it and is very pink and girly. I bought this on our annual Black Friday shopping trip and it brings back happy memories every time I see it. Each morning I fill it with delicious PG Tips tea. Perfect!
2. My North Face Jacket- OK, actually I have three of these. But that’s because I love them so much. I am always cold and these are the perfect weight to wear inside when my husband won’t adjust the thermostat or in the mall where it is cold. My jackets also keep me warm outside on cold days. Basically, I never have to take it off in the winter. I don’t know how North Face created a coat that is comfortable to wear inside and out.
3. My bike– Ahhh…I feel like a kid again when I am riding my bike. The wind in my hair, the freedom in my heart; riding my bike brings it all back. My bike also symbolizes my future with my husband without the kiddos. We both have road bikes now and plan on doing lots of fun trips together as the kids continue to fly the coop.
4. My Tempur-Pedic Mattress- This was a MAJOR splurge item and worth every penny. My husband and I have slept on crappy mattresses for all of our 24 years of marriage so it was time. This mattress is like a sleeping on a nice firm cloud. It actually conforms to your body, every time you change position. The nicest part? I can’t feel it when my husband rolls and thrashes about in his sleep. It is such a pleasure not being trampolined around the bed every night.
5. The Kindle App- I love this crazy voodoo magic. Wherever I am, I have a book to read.
6. My wind chimes- I know a lot of people find these annoying, but I love the sound they make when they are really kicking in the wind. My husband bought me giant wind chimes for Mother’s Day one year and they always make me smile. They are over-the-top HUGE! I guess that’s how much he loves me.
7. My DSLR camera- This is a newish toy and I am enjoying learning how to use it. Luckily for me, I have four daughters who, all but one, love being photographed. I take it with me everywhere and am amazed by how much more of the world around me that I notice. Taking pictures has opened a new world to me.
8. My Toms- These simple shoes just make me smile because they are colorful, fun and comfortable. I love color coordinating my outfits and these make it so easy! My kids think I’ve gone Toms crazy, and maybe I have, but how can I help myself when the company keeps coming out with new and unique designs? The picture to the left is not representative of my full collection. Not even close. 🙂