As a teacher, I certainly know what annoys me about students. But do teachers ever get on their nerves?
Yes, it turns out we do. My students came up with a list of pet peeves they have about teachers. (Present company excluded, of course!)
Interspersed throughout the list are some direct quotes from my students that they thought would help illustrate their points.
List of Grievances
- Punishing the group as a whole when only one student is misbehaving.
- Taking too long to teach a lesson and then assigning all of the work in the last five minutes of class so that it’s homework.
- Not letting people go to the bathroom or get a drink of water.
Teachers have complete disrespect for human rights and freedoms. -7th grade boy
- Too much homework, too many projects.
- Using only textbooks, packets and worksheets to teach– boring.
When teachers assign work to keep you busy, it ticks me off. I don’t like doing work without a purpose and it makes me feel like they don’t care about us. -7th grade boy
- Teachers who don’t actually teach in front of the class or do anything fun in class.
- Teachers who think they’re funny, but aren’t.
- Leaving you with boring movies to watch when they’re absent.
- Teachers who talk about themselves for a really long time.
My pet peeve is teachers who are too absorbed in their own problems to teach: “Then I saw him with STEFANIE at the dance, when he said he couldn’t come with me because of FAMILY OBLIGATIONS!” *sob* -7th grade boy
10. Assigning homework and not checking it.
11. Teachers who choose favorites.
12. Yelling. Screaming. Shouting. Shrieking. Sarcasm.
I can’t deal with short-tempered maniacs who send me into the hall for no reason. -7th grade boy
13. Complainers, whiny teachers.
14. Teachers who embarrass us.
I don’t like it when the teacher “jokes” about me not having friends. -7th grade boy
15. Teachers who go on their phones or eat in front of us.
16. Dressing too young or wearing ugly outfits.
This is what I don’t like: teachers that don’t brush their hair, messed up nail polish on a teacher, teachers who wear WAY TOO MUCH make up, gym teachers that are way too serious about their jobs, and teachers who dye their hair REALLY BLONDE. -7th grade girl
17. Wasting too much time checking homework.
18. Teachers who won’t help you.
I don’t like how teachers don’t let you ask questions. The will like let you ask them, but won’t give a response. They will say something like, “Look in your notes,” or “We covered that last class.” Sometimes people actually have legitimate questions. -8th grade boy
19. Teachers who call on you when your hand isn’t raised.
20. Moody, unpredictable teachers.
I hate how they make you put your phone away. Like I’m playing a game and about to win and then they are like, nope it’s gone now. You’re in trouble.
I hate how I don’t get to pick my own seat. Like I wanna sit by my friends. That’s why I’m sitting in this class.
I hate authority. Like I wanna do what I wanna do.
The good news for these guys? Only 11 more days of putting up with annoying teachers, homework, and rules!